King's Pote 180 (King's College Library, King's College Cambridge)
13 lines per page.
Not ruled. Catchwords.
Script: shikasta. Quality: Careless (there is a change of hand after f.20). Scribe: Anonymous.
A letter in English inserted into the codex, is dated 15-9-71 and signed F. Fashersaidi, stating: "This is the only existent copy of the work so far known. It comprises the poetical works of Abrū [Najm al-dīn Shāh Mubarak] one of the oldest poets of Delhi (known to have flourished during Emperor Muḥammad Shāh) who died in 1750. One copy of the work, which is regarded as the only copy in manuscript form is rumoured to have vanished during the Mutiny in India in 1857, but this copyappers to have arrived in Cambridge long before that date." Others have added corrections: "Another copy of the work is in Khuda Bakhsh Library, Patna, and yet another in Central Library, Patiala [?]. Now printed" (dated 2.5.1974) and: "More than one copies [sic] of this ms. (Divan-i Abru) are existing in National Museum Karachi, Pakistan and also in Panjab University Library, Lahore.".
Dark brown leather, Indian style. Marbled paper doublures. Decorations: Low quality gold corner pieces, small turanj and two pendants (with floral motifs). Dimensions: 18.8 × 12.5 × 1.4 cm. Unboxed. Polier's number: 389.
Provenance and Acquisition
The "Pote Collection" arrived in England from India in 1790 and was divided between the Colleges of Eton and King's, Cambridge, with the first half alphabetically going to King's. Both halves of the collection are now housed in Cambridge University Library on permanent loan. Most if not all of the manuscripts had previously been owned by Colonel Antoine-Louis Henri Polier (1741–1795).
Gift of Edward Ephraim Pote (d.1832) in 1788.
All manuscripts of the Pote Collection are on permanent loan at Cambridge University Library. Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a valid reader's card for admissions procedures consult Cambridge University Library. Contact email@example.com for further information on the availability of this manuscript
Funding of Cataloguing
King's College Cambridge