King's Pote 221 (King's College Library, King's College Cambridge)
Colophon details: Date: Undated Scribe: Anonymous.
Colophon further notes: F.2v: a marginal note in red in praise of Jahangir speaks of him as if he is alive, which means it would have to have been written (and the manuscript copied) in 1036/1627 at the latest.
Note concerning work: A work similar in genre to the Badāyiʿ al-ʿUqūl which is found in King's 61.
13 lines per page.
Ruled in double red with a blue outer. Rubrications in red. Catchwords.
Script: nastaʿlīq. Scribe: Anonymous.
Tucked into the manuscript is a letter of 14/11/(18)88 signed Serge d'Oldenburg [of Leningrad] extending over 2.5 pages, beginning: "The original of the Singhasan Battisi… is the Sanscrit… - the 32 tales of the statues of the throne of Vikr-..aditya King of…. The Sanskrit text came down to us in many recensions... A fourth [Persian] version has for its author Biharimali, the date is 1019 in the reign of Jahangir (the ms of the Kings College Library belongs to this version, although it differs considerably from another ms of this version in the India Office Library 1250 [copied in Lucknow in 1194/1780])...".
Plain brown leather, European style. Plain paper doublures. Dimensions: 23.8 × 16.7 × 1.7 cm. Unboxed. Polier's number: 545.
Provenance and Acquisition
The "Pote Collection" arrived in England from India in 1790 and was divided between the Colleges of Eton and King's, Cambridge, with the first half alphabetically going to King's. Both halves of the collection are now housed in Cambridge University Library on permanent loan. Most if not all of the manuscripts had previously been owned by Colonel Antoine-Louis Henri Polier (1741–1795).
Gift of Edward Ephraim Pote (d.1832) in 1788.
All manuscripts of the Pote Collection are on permanent loan at Cambridge University Library. Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a valid reader's card for admissions procedures consult Cambridge University Library. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information on the availability of this manuscript
Funding of Cataloguing
King's College Cambridge