Turkish MS 17 (The John Rylands Library, The University of Manchester)
Anthology of poetry
Substantial sections include
- 39 gazels (folios 38a-44b) by Benli Hasa Efendi Ahi
- 81 gazels (folios 62a-68b) by Emri (d 988/1580)
- 7 kasides (folios 38a-43a (margin)) and 40 gazels (folio 69a-75b) by Figani Ramazan Efendi (d 933/1526-7)
- 39 gazels (folios 81a-87b) by Hayali (d 964/1556-7)
- 48 gazels (folios 53a-60b (margin)) by Mesihi (d 918/1512-3)
- 64 gazels (folios 53a-62a and 77a-80b) by Necati (d 914/1509)
- 33 gazels (folios 45a-47b, 50a-52b, 51a (margin) and 75b) by Rahmi Pir Mehmed Efendi (d 975/1566-7)
- 24 gazels (folios 73a-76b (margin)) by Usuli (d 945/1538-9)
- 33 kasides (folios 1b-37b) and 74 gazels (folios 48b-49b, 88a-90b and margins and 93a-95b and margins) by Zati (d 953/1546-7)
2 columns, 17 written lines
Provenance and Acquisition
Formerly in the collection of the Persian scholar Nathaniel Bland (1803–1865), whose oriental manuscripts were sold after his death through Bernard Quaritch (1819–1899) in 1866 to Alexander Lindsay, 25th Earl of Crawford (1812–1880).
Purchased by Enriqueta Rylands (1843–1908) in 1901 from James Ludovic Lindsay, 26th Earl of Crawford (1847–1913).
Bequeathed by Enriqueta Rylands (1843–1908) in 1908 to the John Rylands Library.
The manuscript is available for consultation by any accredited reader.