Persian MS 387 (The John Rylands Library, The University of Manchester)
Foliation marked at top-right corners of the a sides in Hindu-Arabic numerals in black ink, employed for this record.
Written in 1 column, with 21 lines per page. Ruled with a maṣṭārah hand guide.
Written primarily in a clear nasta‘liq hand in black, with subheaders in red.
Probably uniformly rebound in a hybrid British-Indian style in Multan, together with the other volumes in full red goatskin leather over pasteboards, without a flap (type III binding per Déroche), as a set for former owner Colonel George William Hamilton.
323 × 224 × 50 mm.
Handle with caution. In fair condition. The text block opens tightly to the gutter, while the exterior binding suffers from abrasion, and cracking joints at head and tail.
Four folios (two bifolia) loosely inserted at the front of the volume bear a table of contents written in a hand consistent with many other volumes that Hamilton formerly owned.
Provenance and Acquisition
Obtained by Colonel George William Hamilton (1807-1868) who served in India from 1823 to 1867, latterly as Commissioner in Delhi. During his tenure, he acquired over a thousand Indian and Persian manuscripts, from which, the British Museum selected 352 volumes after his death, now held in the British Library.
In 1868, Alexander Lindsay, 25th Earl of Crawford (1812–1880) purchased the remainder.
Purchased by Enriqueta Rylands (1843–1908) in 1901 from James Ludovic Lindsay, 26th Earl of Crawford (1847–1913).
Bequeathed by Enriqueta Rylands in 1908 to the John Rylands Library.
Bibliographical description based on an index created by Reza Navabpour circa 1993, derived from a manuscript catalogue by Michael Kerney, circa 1890s and his Bibliotheca Lindesiana, Hand-list of Oriental Manuscripts: Arabic, Persian, Turkish, 1898.
Manuscript description by Jake Benson in 2021 with reference to the volume.
Funding of Cataloguing
Iran Heritage Foundation and The John Rylands Research Institute