Persian MS 438 (The John Rylands Research Institute and Library, The University of Manchester)
Evidently defective at the end, then later restored. Sayyid Shamsullah Qadri published a critical edition of this work in 1930. For English translations of select passages, see Elliot and Dowson.
Handle with caution. In fair condition condition. Folios 1 to 36 extensive water damaged and stained at head and tail, with some insect damage, and historical repairs throughout, with all of the gutter margins replaced with comparatively thin paper, similar to folios added to restore the volume.
Written in 1 column with 17 lines per page; ruled with a misṭarah hand guide.
Written in medium, legible black nasta’līq with names and subheaders in red.
Replaced folios 38 to 42b (the final quire), written in medium, legible nasta’liq script in black ink with names and subheaders in red, added to complete the volume.
- The right flyleaf verso (f. ib) bears the full title and author's name in Persian, written in black together with that of prior owner Colonel George William Hamilton.
- Brief title written in Persian in red.
Probably restored in India for former owner Colonel George William Hamilton. Resewn on a single leather thong support, put down on the pasteboards. Edges trimmed, but without endbands. Rebound in a British-Indian hybrid style, covered in full polished maroon goatskin leather over paasteboards, with squares along the edges of the boards and without a flap (type III binding as per Déroche). Endpapers of comparatively rough paper, probably handmade in India.
Boards margins and spine dyed dark brown. Boards bear paper onlays in gold scalloped central mandorlas, detached pendants, with a horiztonal cartouche of three insular dots in between, connected by criss-crossed single rule lines in yellow, and double-ruled on either side of the outer margins. Spine bears a paper label inscribed with the title in Persian.
239 × 153 × 13 mm.
In fair condition. Some abrasion to the surface, cracking at headcaps
Table of Contents recorded on five loose folios, inserted at the front of the volume.
Provenance and Acquisition
Acquired by Colonel George William Hamilton (1807-1868) who served in India from 1823 to 1867, latterly as Commissioner in Delhi. He amassed a library of more than a thousand Arabic and Persian manuscriptsfter, from which the British Museum selected 352, now held in the British Library.
Alexander Lindsay, 25th Earl of Crawford (1812–1880) purchased the remainder of Hamilton's collection in 1868.
Purchased by Enriqueta Rylands (1843–1908) in 1901 from James Ludovic Lindsay, 26th Earl of Crawford (1847–1913).
Bequeathed by Enriqueta Rylands (1843–1908) in 1908 to the John Rylands Library.
Basic entry compiled by Elizabeth Gow derived from a manuscript catalogue by Michael Kerney, circa 1890s and his Bibliotheca Lindesiana, Hand-list of Oriental Manuscripts: Arabic, Persian, Turkish, 1898.
Manuscript description by Jake Benson in 2021 with reference to the volume in hand.
Manchester Digital Collections (full digital facsimile)