MS. Thurston 10 (Bodleian Library, Oxford University)
Oriental Manuscripts Thurston Collection
The copy is undated and unsigned. It bears an owner’s note dated 761/ Gregorian 1359. The appearance of the paper, ink, and script suggest a dating of the seventh/thirteenth to eighth/fourteenth century.
It is a complete copy. The first maqālah begins on folio 2a, the second on 17b, the third on 34b, the fourth on 46a, the fifth on 67b, the sixth on 86a, and the seventh on 105b.
Dimensions 25.7 × 18.5 (text area 16.0 × 12.0) cm; 17−18 lines per page. The title is given on the title page (folio 1a) as كتاب فيه شرح فصول ابقراط; a later hand has repeated the title at the top of the page. The author’s name is given in full on both the title page and at the beginning of the treatise. The title is written as شرح الفصول on the top edge of the volume, with the author written as لابن ابى صادق on the bottom edge. The text area is frame-ruled. The text is written in a medium-small, careful, and consistent Naskh with considerable vocalization. The letter sīn and occasionally rāʾ has a small háček on it; a minuscule letter occurs underneath the letter ḥāʾ but only very occasionally under an ʿayn. The letter kāf often, but not always, is missing the top stroke; a hamzah is occasionally written over an initial alif. The text is written in dark brown ink, with headings and overlinings in red; text-stops are red dots enclosed in brown circles. There are no catchwords.
The text has been collated (collation note on folio 17b), and there are scribal corrections and later marginalia. Folios are labelled in the upper left corner with small abjad letter-numerals in black ink. A different hand has numbered the pages with standard Arabic numerals. On folio 89a there is a Karshūnī note providing the subject heading: al-ṣudāʿ (headache).
This undated and unsigned copy is by the same copyist who prepared the first item in the volume (see Sharḥ Fuṣūl Ibqurāṭ ). The volume bears an owner’s note dated 761/1359. The appearance of the paper, ink, and script suggest a dating of the late seventh/thirteenth century.
The copy contains all three maqālahs, the first beginning on folio 119b, second on folio 133a and the third on folio 156a.
Dimensions 25.2 × 18.5 (text area 16.0 × 11.6) cm; 17−18 lines per page. The title is given on the title page (folio 119a) as كتاب فيه شرح تقدمة المعرفة. The author is given on folio 119b4 as Muhadhdhab al-Dīn ʿAbd al-Raḥmān [sic] ibn ʿAlī, while on the title page Ibn al-Dakhwār is added to the name. The compiler, Badr al-Dīn Muẓaffar ibn Qāḍī Baʿlabakk al-ṭabīb, is named on folio 119b3 and the person for whom it was recorded is given at folio 119b14–15 as Kamāl al-Dīn Muḥammad ibn ʿAbd al-Raḥmān ibn Muslim al-ṭabīb.
The text area has been frame-ruled. The text is written in a medium-small, careful, and consistent Naskh with considerable vocalization. The letter sīn, and occasionally rāʾ , has a small háček on it; a minuscule letter occurs under the letter ḥāʾ but only very occasionally under an ʿayn. The letter kāf often, but not always, is missing the top stroke. It is written in dark brown ink with headings and overlinings in red; text-stops are small red dots, sometimes single, sometimes in groups of 3s, and sometimes enclosed in brown circles. There are no catchwords.
There are scribal corrections and later marginalia and marginal headings. Folio 118b has a table of contents for the treatise, apparently added by the writer of a note occurring on folio 119a transferring ownership to an unnamed bishop (usquf) of the three sees (karāsīy) of Amid, Mārdīn, and Tyre in the Alexandrian year of 1898 (1586): انتقل بالابتياع الشرعى ودخل خزانه كتب فقير الاساقفه بمبلغ ثلث اشرفيه خادم الثلث كراسى آمد وماردين والصور ((الطور)) وذلك بحدود سنه ١٨٩٨ يونانيه
It appears that this same writer was responsible for the repetition on the title page (folio 119a) of the name of the compiler of the treatise and the person for whom it was recorded. Karshūnī notes providing subject headings occur on folios 133a (fī al-istisqāʾ, on dropsy), 164a (fī al-buḥrānāt, on crises), and 165a (al-ruʿāf al-radī, a severe nosebleed).
An abridgement and reordering of the Aphorisms of Hippocrates according to topic. The copy in the Bodleian Library has only one folio, and it presents a detailed table of contents for the treatise with the heading Fihrist abwāb kitāb Ibqurāṭ (فهرست ابواب كتاب ابقراط). The author is given as Abū al- Ḥasan Ṭāhir ibn Ibrāhīm al-Sinjarī. The treatise itself is missing from the volume.
This table of contents appears to have been written by the writer of two notes dated 995/1586−7 transferring ownership of the volume to an unnamed bishop (usquf) of the three sees (thalāth karāsīy) of Amid, Mārdīn and Tyre (folios 1a and 119a). The same person also prepared the table of contents for two other Hippocratic commentaries that are preserved in the manuscript.
Dimensions 25.2 × 17.8 (text area 19 × 14 cm); 15 lines per page. The author is given as Abū al-Ḥasan Ṭāhir ibn Ibrāhīm al-Sinjarī at the beginning of the fihrist. The title of the treatise Fihrist abwāb Kitāb Ibqurāṭ is given as a heading.
The text is written in a medium-small Naskh with considerable vocalization and some ligatures; the final nūn has a small right-hand spur and there is a left-hand tick on the alifs; the letter sīn has a háček over it. The text is written in black ink with red-brown headings.
At the bottom of folio 168b a small square of paper with Turkish notes has been pasted onto the folio.
Paper The volume is constructed of seventeen ten-leaf quires, with the beginning and ending of each quire indicated by abjad letter-numerals. The smooth beige paper has a near matt surface and a thickness of 0.17−0.21 mm with an opaqueness factor of 4. It is slightly fibrous, with horizontal straight laid lines and chain lines (slightly curved and often very indistinct) in groups of 3s; there are inclusions.
The volume is bound in pasteboards covered with dark-brown leather with an envelope flap; possibly tenth/sixteenth-century Ottoman covers, extensively restored. The covers have blind-tooled oval medallions with blind quadrant divisions, enclosed by several blind frames enclosing two braided frames. The envelope flap has half of a blind round medallion with similar blind frames. The spine and fore-edge flap are European replacements in light tan leather. The doublure of the envelope flap is European multi-coloured marbled paper; the other pastedowns are plain paper. There are no front endpapers, but there is one modern back endpaper.
Provenance and Acquisition
On folio 1a, the title page for the first item, there are six owners’ notes. What appears to be the earliest is now defaced and illegible. One note, dated Muḥarram 71 (November 1359), has the name defaced but ultraviolet light reveals it to be Muḥammad ibn Ibrāhīm al-muʿtaraf bi-Ibn al-Ṭurays; the reading of the second number in the year is uncertain. Another note, transferring ownership to al-Jazarī al-Masīḥī, is dated 863/ 1458−9; on folio 119a an owner’s note bearing the same date gives the owner as ʿAbd Allāh ibn al-ṣāḥib Nūr al-Dīn ibn ʿĪsá al-Jazarī and is pasted over an earlier entry with the name Ibn al-Ṭurays. A third note, possibly also by Muḥammad ibn Ibrāhīm (Ibn al-Ṭurays), is apparently dated 16 Shaʿbān 861 [9 July 1457], though the Arabic word for 800 is unclear. A fourth note transfers ownership to an unnamed bishop (usquf) of three sees (thalāth karāsīy) in the year 995/ 1586−7, also given as 1898 of the Alexandrian era; on folio 119a a similar note of ownership is recorded in which the three sees of the bishopric are specified as Amid, Mārdīn, and Tyre. The writer of the two notes dated 995/1586−7 appears to have also written the three tables of contents in the volume. On folio 1a there are also two illegible owners’ stamps and a brief note in Italian.
The volume was given to the Bodleian on 20 March 1667 by an unknown donor. Though now shelved as part of the collection of Willian Thurston (a merchant of London, of whom little is known), the collection which bears his name consists of forty manuscripts of which only five, acquired in 1661, were actually given by Thurston. Former shelfmark: Thurston 1977,10
Funding of Cataloguing