Persian MS 266 (The John Rylands Library, The University of Manchester)
Thin Indian laid paper, lightly sized with starch and minimally burnished, and used crossed-grain. Laid lines approximately 1 mm apart, with barely discernible chain lines, approximately 28 mm apart.
Endleaves of late 19th–early 20th c. machine-made cream coloured paper.
Foliation marked in pencil at top-left corner of the a sides in Arabic numerals.
Catchwords on b side of nearly every folio.
Written in 1 to 2 columns, with 7 to 16 lines per page.
Nasta‘liq script in black ink, in a medium, clear hand for the majority of the text, with rubricated chapter headings
Nasta‘liq script in black ink, in a medium but clear hand that transcribed an unrelated couplet by Sa‘di on folio 79b.
Nasta‘liq script in black ink, in a heavy, rudimentary hand that transcribed six unidentified couplets on folio 79b.
Rebound, presumably for Crawford, in half dark blue morocco-grain goatskin leather binding, possibly by the Zaehnsdorf firm. Paper sides of British-made dark blue moirée Spanish patterned with printed marbled gold veins, with tooled gold fillet lines. Spine features blind and gilt fillet lines with full titling. 241 × 162 × 11 mm.
folio 1a. Note: "Lilu Mignoon by Hatefee –H. F. Cane."
Provenance and Acquisition
Formerly belonged to Captain H. F. Cane (d. 1828) who inscribed the volume on folio 1a, then later acquired by the Persian scholar Nathaniel Bland (1803–1865), after whose death his oriental manuscripts were sold through Bernard Quaritch (1819–1899) in 1866 to Alexander Lindsay, 25th Earl of Crawford (1812–1880).
Purchased by Enriqueta Rylands (1843–1908) in 1901 from James Ludovic Lindsay, 26th Earl of Crawford (1847–1913).
Bequeathed by Enriqueta Rylands (1843–1908) in 1908 to the John Rylands Library.
Bibliographical description based on an index created by Reza Navabpour circa 1993, derived from a manuscript catalogue by Michael Kerney, circa 1890s and his Bibliotheca Lindesiana, Hand-list of Oriental Manuscripts: Arabic, Persian, Turkish, 1898. Emended and enhanced by Jake Benson in 2020 with reference to the manuscript.
Funding of Cataloguing
Iran Heritage Foundation and The John Rylands Research Institute