Persian MS 317 (The John Rylands Library, The University of Manchester)
The text appears complete, albeit significantly differs from printed editions.
In 1798, French orientalist Silvestre de Sacy (1758–1838) highlighted the importance of the text, delineated the individuals mentioned, and translated key passages.Ḥasan Vaḥīd Dastgirdī (1881–1942) published the first complete edition in Iran in 1936, and Theodore Beers recently conducted a detailed analysis of the work for his doctoral dissertation in 2020.
Poor condition. Insect damage and extensive historical repairs throughout, especially in the gutters. Text block was oversewn by machine, in many cases by the edge of the gutter margin, so the opening of the folios is highly restricted. Folio 150 extensively repaired, and a conspicuous rectangle by the colophon surrounded by smudges likely where the seal of a former owner was impressed but then cut out and repaired.
1 and 2 columns. 16 lines of text per page.
Copied in black ink in a neat nasta'liq hand, with the names of poets, poetic forms, and Arabic passages marked in red.
Unrelated Arabic text on folio 150b copied in vowelled naskh script.
- Signed on the right paste-down and on the first right flyleaf a side (f. ia) by former owner ‘W. Chatfield’, possibly William Chatfield (1815-1902). and also by ‘S. H. Lewin’, (Samuel Hawtayne Lewin) in 1823.
- The first right flyleaf a side (f. ia) also bears a French description ‘"Histoire des poetes ecrite en Persan par Sam Mirza fils de Schah Ismael Safi premier roi de Perse de la dynastie des Sofis. Voy. le notice par S. de Sacy (Not. et Extraits des MSS du roi t.IV p. 273)."’
- Folio 1a bears several Persian library notations, one in red ink, partly obliterated, stating that the manuscript entered the library of Nawāb Ṣāḥib ʿAlī Khān Bahādur in 1187 AH (1773 CE), adjacent to two illegible impressions of the same oval seal.
- Folio 150b features an abraded, unrelated Arabic text in on a Shi'ite religious topic.
- The left doublure bears the ‘Bibliotheca Lindesiana’ bookplate with shelf mark ‘2/G’, and ‘Bland MSS No. 537’.
Textblock trimmed, resewn, and rebound in the late 18th to early 19th century in European-style full brown spattered calfskin leather over pasteboards. Textblock subsequently stitched by sewing machine and added buckram cloth guards and spine rebacked in brown goatskin leather with boards reattached with internal modern brown buckram cloth hinges.
Single gilt fillet lines tooled on the margins of the boards, while the edges bear gilt diagonal lines.
245 × 155 × 34 mm.
handle with caution. In poor condition. Boxed.
The volume contains loose folded sheets in English listing the poets, in the hand former owner Nathaniel Bland (1803–1865), held in a polyester folder inside the left board, as well as another note between folios 104b–105a.
Provenance and Acquisition
The manuscript entered the library of one Nawwāb Ṣāḥib ‘Alī Khān Bahādur in 1187 AH (1773 CE) as per an inscription on folio 1a.
Subsequently acquired by an unknown owner, who described the volume in French on the first right flyleaf a side (f. ia).
Later acquired by the Persian scholar Nathaniel Bland (1803–1865), after whose death London bookseller Bernard Quaritch (1819–1899) sold his oriental manuscripts to Alexander Lindsay, 25th Earl of Crawford (1812–1880) in 1866.
Purchased by Enriqueta Rylands (1843–1908) in 1901 from James Ludovic Lindsay, 26th Earl of Crawford (1847–1913).
Bequeathed by Enriqueta Rylands (1843–1908) in 1908 to the John Rylands Library.
Bibliographical description based on an index created by Reza Navabpour circa 1993, derived from a manuscript catalogue by Michael Kerney, circa 1890s then conisely published as Bibliotheca Lindesiana, Hand-list of Oriental Manuscripts: Arabic, Persian, Turkish, 1898.
Revised and expanded by James White in 2018 with reference to the manuscript.
Funding of Cataloguing
Iran Heritage Foundation and The John Rylands Research Institute
The Soudavar Foundation