King's Pote 196 (King's College Library, King's College Cambridge)
18 lines per page.
Ruled in double red with a blue outer. (3 columns).
Script: nastaʿlīq. Scribe: Anonymous.
F.1v: the heading is in an Indian script (with a note alongside). Many boxes throughout the codex are ruled in double red but remain empty.
Signs of collation.
Marbled paper on cardboard with dark brown spine. Mustard coloured plain paper doublures. Condition: The boards are very loose and are eaten away at the corners. Dimensions: 31.4 × 20.6 × 2.6 cm. Unboxed. Polier's number: 461.
Provenance and Acquisition
The "Pote Collection" arrived in England from India in 1790 and was divided between the Colleges of Eton and King's, Cambridge, with the first half alphabetically going to King's. Both halves of the collection are now housed in Cambridge University Library on permanent loan. Most if not all of the manuscripts had previously been owned by Colonel Antoine-Louis Henri Polier (1741–1795).
Gift of Edward Ephraim Pote (d.1832) in 1788.
All manuscripts of the Pote Collection are on permanent loan at Cambridge University Library. Entry to read in the Library is permitted only on presentation of a valid reader's card for admissions procedures consult Cambridge University Library. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information on the availability of this manuscript